Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 21:37:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Michael L Artz <slyph@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Static Nat

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Michael L Artz wrote:

> I have NAT set up with ipfw and natd using the 192.168.1.* non-routable
> internal net, and was wanting to be able to access one of those internal
> machines from the outside using static nat.  For example, I have 2 IPs,
> one which is associated with the external interface on the gateway and
> one which is unused.  I would like to map the unused address to one of
> the internal machines.  I was just wondering what was involved ... i.e

> do I need to alias my FreeBSD gateway machine to all of the IPs that I
> want it to translate/accept?

	Depends on how the external IP's are being routed to you...or if
	they are period.  If they are not being routed, then yes you
	will have to setup an ARP entry to handle your other IP.

> Do I need to change the routing tables of
> either the internal or the gateway machine?

	No.

 Does the internal machine
> need to know about the external translation?

	No.

> Any help would be great.

	Once you get your IP working, you can just use the
	redirect_address flag with your natd command.  See natd(8).

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.