Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:14:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        "Adam C. Migus" <adam@migus.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: sys/conf/DEFAULT[S]

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Adam C. Migus wrote:

> Bruce Evans said:
> > Do we actually gave the abiltity to include other config files?  It
> > was
> > quite broken last time I tried to use it for anything more
> > complicated
> > than the example in "SMP".
>
> I use the include feature quite a bit, nested in some cases.  It
> works great for me for creating combinations of debug, diskless, mac
> and smp kernels for example.

My example written last Februry still shows that even simple includes
don't work:

%%%
Script started on Tue Feb 25 14:16:01 2003
ttyp0:bde@besplex:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf> cat FOOBAR
include FOO
ttyp0:bde@besplex:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf> cat FOO
machine		i386
cpu		I486_CPU
ident		FOO
ttyp0:bde@besplex:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf> config FOOBAR
config: FOO:1: syntax error
ttyp0:bde@besplex:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf> config FOO
Kernel build directory is ../compile/FOO
Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
ttyp0:bde@besplex:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf> exit

Script done on Tue Feb 25 14:16:23 2003
%%%

Similarly with FOOBAR's contents identical with SMP's contents except
for including FOO instead of GENERIC.  So the bug must be related to
the file being included ... adding an empty or comment line to the
beginning of FOO works around it.  I guess there is an off-by-1 byte
or line error switching the input stream.

Bruce