Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:25:39 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SOLVED? Re: X - after some time can't lauch new windows, Error: Can't open display

On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 04:49:02PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> After some time I cannot open any new windows in X,
> I get
> 	No protocol specified
> 	Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>
> This is on i386 9.0-current with
> 	agp0: <Intel 82845M (845M GMCH) SVGA controller> on vgapci0
>
> I've xorg-7.4_2, xorg-server-1.6.1,1, xf86-video-intel-2.7.1
> and latest hal and dbus.
>
> My window manager is mwm (part of open-motif-2.2.3_6).
>
> After logging into X via xdm I can launch new windows fine.
> But after a while, probably several hours, an attempt to
> launch a new window, i.e. any program that opens a new window,
> like xterm or xpdf, results in the error message above.
>
> The only solution I've found is to logout of xdm and login again.
> But would be great to solve this properly.

I realised that rsync from another box was overwriting $HOME/.Xauthority
every time I sinchronised the two machines. After that connection
to X server is refused because the data in .Xauthority doesn't match
what the X server is expecting (is that so? not sure..).
Logging out and on again creates a new .Xauthority file, and all
is fine after that.

Or perhaps the mechanism I described is not correct..
Anyway it seems to have helped.

--
Anton Shterenlikht
Room 2.6, Queen's Building