Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:44:41 -0500
From:      Alexander Chamandy <bsdfreak@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: web-based password checking tool?

The solution I've seen people use in the past is Webmin
(http://www.webmin.com/), but I haven't heard great things about its
security.  I would use it cautiously if you are looking for that
functionality.  The problem I'd note is that in order to attain
convenience in the traditional sense, one must generally sacrifice
layers of security.  In this case, allowing a web interface to change
users' authentication credentials provides risks (compromise,
information leakage, etc.) and rewards (enhanced usability for novice
users, added convenience).

--
Best wishes,

Alexander G. Chamandy