Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:08:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        William Woods <wwoods@cybcon.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: script questions......

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, William Woods wrote:

> I have need for a script that will do something like this....
>
> command
> echo ...........
> command
> echo ...........
> echo.................
> command
> echo Please insert data disk and hit any key to continue......
>
> That uis where I am stumped, how do I do that last line, have the system
> check for keypress and continue?

check the "sh" manpage:

     read [ -p prompt ] [ -t timeout ] [ -e ] variable ...
             The prompt is printed if the -p option is specified and the stan-
             dard input is a terminal.  Then a line is read from the standard
             input.  The trailing newline is deleted from the line and the
             line is split as described in the section on word splitting
             above, and the pieces are assigned to the variables in order.  If

-Alfred