Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:59:38 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>, Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choosing a 5-port switch

I'll second the recommendation of Netgear switches. I have an FS-105
(their little 5-port switch) and an FS-508 (their super-fast 8-port
switch with adaptive cut-through) and both have worked famously.

The FS-508's internal fan is a little noisy, and the unit is more
expensive than most other 8-port unmanaged switches, but it switches
like lightning; it may well be the fastest 10/100BaseT switch ever
made. It's great at uncluttering congested LAN segments and at
handling segments with big data sinks such as high-res color
printers. Alas, Netgear has recently started to cater to cost-
conscious buyers, so they're not designing any more high performance
models. This is a shame -- I'd love a 16-port switch with the same
algorithms as the FS-508.

In any event, you'll probably find that the FS-105 works fine
for you.

--Brett

At 08:23 PM 12/10/2000, Kris Kirby wrote:

>The NetGear FS-105 (ask for it by name ;-) has been tested by someone on
>the FreeBSD lists to be a Real Switch and is smaller than most other
>five-port 10/100 switches. It doesn't have a fan and seems to run
>warm/hot, but works. I've had mine running for several months and haven't
>seen a single sign of failure.

"You know what makes a good loser? Practice." -- Ernest Hemingway