Date:      Sat, 9 Jul 2005 19:37:43 +0100
From:      Chris Hodgins <christopher.hodgins@gmail.com>
To:        Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror, sparc and SCSI problems

On 7/9/05, Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 05:36:43PM +0100, Chris Hodgins wrote:
>=20
> > Everything worked fine until we arrived at this step below.
> > # mount /dev/mirror/gm0s1a /mnt
> >
> > It seems that gmirror does not give us any partitions.  A listing of
> > the mirror directory shows only the gm0 node even though da0 is
> > partitioned.  When mounting the mirror it seems that /dev/mirror/gm0
> > only represents the root partition.  How can we get the mirror to
> > recognise the other partitions?
>=20
> Just a wild guess, maybe for Sparc hardware you still need to run
> MAKEDEV?
>=20
> -danny
>=20

According to http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.4R/migration-guide.html:

"MAKEDEV is no longer available, nor is it required. FreeBSD 5.X uses
a device file system, which automatically creates device nodes on
demand. Configuration of the entries in the device filesystem can be
performed with the devfs(8) utility or with the /etc/devfs.conf
mechanism. More information can be found in the devfs(5) manual page."

Unfortunetly there is no MAKEDEV in 5.4, even for sparc.  Is it
possible it is some sort of compatibility problem with the partitions
created and gmirror?

Thanks
Chris