Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:35:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can in have an "ip-up" script with user ppp too?

Recenlty I said to Peter, with regards to shell commands in ppp.linkup:
 % Yeah, it accepts PPP commands.  I think one of these commands is !
 % to run an interactive shell.  You'd have to check this.  What do you
 % want to run?  (Chances are you're doing it backwards.)

Peter Mutsaers writes:
 > OK, I'll try that. I want to run sendmail -q and fetchmail.

Your doing it backwards.  What you really want to do is make user mode
PPP demand dialing work, and then run sendmail and fetchmail in a cron
job.  This way, the PPP link will be automagically brought up each time
sendmail and fetchmail get started.

I've written about this several times in -questions, and it's all in the
mail archives.  Go check out the archives, search for:

	softweyr AND HISADDR

If that doesn't get you going, email me back.  ;^)