Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2009 19:48:54 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Interface dependencies

Hi,

maybe I'm overlooking something, so I thought I'd ask.
As far as I can tell, there is no way to specify interface dependencies, so I
have an issue I cannot seem to solve:
- Create a lagg0 that has em and wlan0 at boot time, because wlan0 takes too
long to be configured - and the default network_interfaces=AUTO sorts
alphabetically which is not making matters easier.

I've been trying to use hacks, but I think interfaces really need
dependencies. Like ifconfig_lagg0_require="wlan0 em0", which would first
configure wlan0, wait for it to be availabe, then em0 and finally lagg0.

Is there something available, is it a known issue and ENOTIME to fix or am I
missing something else?

At present, my rc.conf entries are:
# Need to do this manually to prevent alphabetical sorting.
network_interfaces="wpi0 lo0 em0"
cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
wlans_wpi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wpi0="ether 00:16:36:f2:3b:84"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
ifconfig_em0="up"
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport em0"
ifconfig_lagg0_alias0="laggport wlan0"
ifconfig_lagg0_alias1="inet 192.168.2.50 netmask 255.255.255.0"

And this gives me a lagg0 at boottime without wlan0, since the interface don't
exist. I also cannot add inet commands to laggport commands, thus the alias
trick is already needed, yet the delay caused by running separate commands
does not seem to be enough to have wlan0 available.
--
Mel