Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 1998 09:01:12 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund), jkh@time.cdrom.com, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how about including dummynet in 2.2.7 ?

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > The only problem I can see with Luigi's changes is I believe that they
> > will screw the ipfw interface again (right, Luigi?)
>
> depends on what you mean for 'screw up' ...
>
> Because i needed some space in the structure passed to the ipfw
> socket, and this size was limited to one mbuf, I reduced the number
> of ports for each rule to 8, and limited the interface name length
> to 10 characters.
>
> The former will go back to 10 if this code has to go in 2.2.7, and
> for the latter, does anyone have an interface name longer than 4-5
> chars anyways ?

I backported -current's mods to allow setsockopt to take data up to a
cluster (~2K) instead of 108 bytes.  I'm using a variant of the ipfw packet
forwarding stuff (in this case both for transparent proxying and for source
address based routing).  The IPFIREWALL_FORWARD adds a sockaddr_in to the
ipfw structs and takes it way over the limit.

I think the setsockopt stuff should be backported.  It doesn't change
any interfaces itself but makes it a hell of a lot easier to add other
things, perhaps at the user's site, or in the base 2.2.x source.

Cheers,
-Peter