Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:31:59 -0400
From:      Damien Tougas <damien@carroll.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for change to /etc/rc script

Hello,

We have a large number of FreeBSD thin client workstations that use
NIS to get all passwd and group information. There is no account
information stored in /etc/master.passwd or /etc/group (except of
course the required +:::::::::). The problem is that the following
line in /etc/rc:

	chown root:wheel /dev/tty[pqrsPQRS]*

occurs before NIS services are started (which I believe is in network_pass2).
This results in a very long pause at boot while the system attempts to
do the chown before it has access to any user/group information.

We have fixed the situation temporarily by moving this line further
down in the script (directly after the completing of network_pass2),
but we would ultimately like a fix like this to be included in the
base distribution, as I am sure that other users may also find this to
be a problem.

Thank you for your assistance.

--
Damien Tougas