Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 22:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Elton Chiu <echiu@direct.ca>
Cc:        Jamil Weatherbee <support@cdrom.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD 2.1 Live File System CD

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996, Elton Chiu wrote:

> At 11:13 AM 6/20/96 -0700, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 19 Jun 1996, Elton Chiu wrote:
> >
> >> Please advise me how to run the FreeBSD 2.1 Live
> >> File System CD.  I cannot find any instruction in
> >> the README file.
> >
> >     check out the freebsd handbook or http://www.freebsd.org
> >
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Elton Chiu
> >>
> >	Technical Support
> >	Walnut Creek CDROM
> >
> I finish reading FreeBSD handbook and all readme files and release notes on
> the CD-ROM and still can't find instruction on how to us the Live File
> System on CD.  Further pointers to related information will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Elton Chiu

I don't find anything in the documentation either, Elton, even in
Greg Lehey's book.  However, I did get emacs running from the live
file system.

First I found the emacs binary on the live file system.  I typed
"emacs" and got messages about files it could not find.  These files
are all on the cdrom, but emacs expects to find them not in (for
example) /cdrom/local/lib/emacs but in /usr/local/lib/emacs.  So I
used lndir (e.g., lndir /cdrom/local/lib/emacs /usr/local/lib/emacs)
to create shadow directories with symbolic links to the files on the
cdrom.  With emacs this took several steps, as it quits (with the
message you need to solve the problem) as soon as there's something
it can't find.  I think I had to use lndir three or four times before
everything necessary was linked.

lndir is on the cdrom as part of X-Windows; you might want to first
find it (find /cdrom -name lndir) and copy it to /usr/local/bin.
X-Windows is another program you might want to try running from the
cdrom if you have really limited space; I haven't done that but I
imagine the process would be similar.

Annelise