Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 18:53:42 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Paul <psd@worldaccess.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: masquerading

On Fri, 30 May 1997, Paul wrote:

> On Tue, 27 May 1997, Nadav Eiron wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to do masquerading over an ethernet device? (not ppp: I
> >> have an router connected to an eth)
> >
> >Yes, using IPfilter.
>
> And does it work like linux? Can I use almost every client? (also irc and
> ftp works fine?) Is it still experimental like in linux or already stable?
> Are there no performance tests done between linux and freebsd? I would
> like to see one of those, because I'm a linux user now and want to know
> more about freebsd and maybe use it as a, maybe more stable, internet
> server.

I don't know about the current state of NAT in IPfilter, as I don't use
NAT. You may want to search the mailing list archives (on
http://www.freebsd.org, specifically questions and hackers may be of
interest).

> E.G. When I use a FreeBSD mashine for a http/ftp-server, and a Linux too,
> which one wins the competition (Which one is more stable, which one is
> faster?) I'd like to know that.

I'm not going to get into this is this might start a war on this mailing
list and waste bandwidth. Again, search the mailing lists...

> --
> Paul Dekkers (psd@worldaccess.nl or psd@dds.nl)
> N.E.V - Nescio Ergo Valeo
> Het prettige van standaards is dat er zoveel zijn om uit te kiezen

Nadav