Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 1996 21:51:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about Virtual domains (ifconfig alias)

Greetings,

I've been fooling around with virtual domains under FreeBSD and I have a
couple of questions.

I can setup ifconfig aliases with:

ifconfig de0 alias xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

and they seem to work fine with two exceptions. First, if I ping the
alias domain from the host machine I get dup pings and secondly I can't
traceroute to the domain from anywhere on the net.  Is this normal
behaviour or do I need some additiona configuration?  Apache seems
to work fine but the dup pings and the inability to traceroute seems
a little "rough" at the edges.

Thanks,

Craig