Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 17:36:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DAT/CAM Questions

Jerry Alexandratos wrote...
> I've got a HP SureStore DAT24x6e autoloader drive.  With CAM, should I
> use ch0 or sa0.  Also, will it automatically load and unload the tapes,
> or will I have to do this manually?

It really depends on how the device works.  CAM will probably work pretty
much like the old SCSI layer with this device.

Generally, if you've got a tape changer, it will show up as two devices.
One will be the changer device, and the other will be the tape drive.  I've
got an Exabyte 10i here that shows up like that.

The easiest thing to do is just put both ch0 and sa0 in your kernel and see
what shows up. :)

As for whether the tapes will automatically unload, that really depends on
how the drive operates.  CAM doesn't (and the old SCSI layer didn't either)
automatically unload tapes.  You've got to do a mt offline or mt rewoffl to
make that happen.  (unless the drive automatically does it)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com