Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2011 17:40:13 -0500
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcp/ip failures with fbsd 8.2 386 on ESX 4.1

FreeBSD 8.2 32-bit
ESXi 4.1
em0 driver to the ESXi Intel emulation
syslog-ng 2.0.10

em0: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=9b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM>
        ether 00:50:56:90:00:01
        inet a.b.c.85 netmask 0xffffffe0 broadcast a.b.c.95
        media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
        status: active

We've be running FreeBSD 7.x for a couple of years on ESXi 4.0 and 4.1 with no problems.

We're having tcp/ip failures with 8.2 as syslog-ng server.  trafshow shows aggregate port 514 traffic hitting peaks of about 25K char/sec.

After sometimes many hours of the syslog-ng VM server running well,

monit from other machines signals port 514 is down, up, down, up.

this is confirmed by other machines with

nmap a.b.c.d -p 514 -sU

... showing closed, open, closed, etc.

syslog-ng logging for all syslog clients stops more or less simultaneously.

trafshow filtered for port 514 shows udp packets arriving, but instead of showing the source and destinations by PTR domain name, it switches to showing their IPs.

to test the external DNS, on the syslog-ng VM, we try

dig @recursive.server -x a.b.c.d

and get no response.  Other machines query the recursive server successfully.

Without rebooting the FreeBSD VM, we do

/etc/rc.d/netif restart
/etc/rc.d/routing restart

which allows full operation.