Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:43:10 +0000
From:      "Darran" <darranc@deejc.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Apache, is it safe out of the box ?

Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:

> At 12:02 PM 3/7/2008, Darran wrote:
> >Hello all,
> >
> >I want to run a (FreeBSD 7) server facing the internet and running Apache and
> >wondered if its safe out of the box .. so to speak ?
> Yes, today it is.  But that does not necessarily mean you will not
> need to do updates, apply patches, perhaps change your configuration
> to deal with new threats.  In my experience, FreeBSD makes the later
> part easier than Windows or Linux (IMHO and experience)
>

> >Do i have to do a degree in configuration to allow it to face the wild west
> >(internet) ?
> >I also want to use it for storage of media and serving of media ..
> >using windows
> >and freebsd clients .. is it possible .. again .. out of the box ?
>

> If you mean turn it on, click a few buttons and "it works" ? no.  You
> will need to install and configure samba and apache.
> e.g.
> cd /usr/ports/net/samba3;make install
>
> will get the application installed, but you still need to configure
> it and later maintain it.  With Windows, I find you can initially get
> things working without understanding how it works.  But when you run
> into problems, you wont understand how to fix them. In general I find
> with FreeBSD, you are expected to understand some basics, but you are
> then better prepared to understand the problems you will face in
> running a server....
>
> That being said, the defaults FreeBSD 7.0 it comes with are pretty
> sane and you should be able to get going quickly to the point where
> you are doing "stuff"
>
>          ---Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike,

I currently use FreeBSD on my laptop so i have some experience of running it and
building the world etc etc, i think the question really boiled down to is it
safe to run it after an install and minor configuration and i believe that at
this point it is ..
Thanks

Darran
http://www.deejc.net