Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 14:58:29 -1000
From:      richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
To:        Richard Reiner <rreiner@fscinternet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 10/100 NIC options for FreeBSD 2.2.6

}
} 3Com keeps changing chipset details in the 3c905, so new 3c905s don't work
} with FreeBSD 2.2.6.
}
} And the de driver in FreeBSD 2.2.6 only seems to work with DEC Tulip 21140,
} 21141 and 21141A (not 21143 etc), but most manuafactuers are now using the
} 21143
}
} So there go the two 10/100 NICs I used to reply on for use with FreeBSD
} 2.2.6.  I've got dozens of 2.2.6 boxes deployed at geographically distant
} locations, so upgrading them all isn't an option; what I need is:
}
} 1. Best of all would be a supply of 21141A based cards (DEc Tulip chipset,
} but *not* the 21143).
}
} 2. Second best would be some other good 10/100 card which can be obtained
} reliably.
}

Or, 3. A new driver that supports the whole line of cards.

It's not uncommon for pc card vendors to do this sort of thing.

Petitioning them to be more forthcoming with programming details is
a good idea.  That could make the support task easier.