Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 09:23:05 +0100
From:      Chrisy Luke <chrisy@flix.net>
To:        Paul Emerson <paul@gta.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipv6 network addresses

Paul Emerson wrote (on Jun 01):
> Repeat after me: All NAT solutions are not created equal.

However NAT does make traceability significantly more difficult. It
also adds quite a few CPU cycles into the packet forwarding loop.

I don't see why "Making everyone come from the same address" is so
desirable. In itself it has no security built in, certainly none that
can't better be provided and tracked by a firewall.

Good network numbering can do effectively the same job significantly
better and without overhead.

NAT is not a security measure, but an administrative mechanism for saving
IPv4 address space and nothing more.

Chris.
--
== chris@easynet.net, chrisy@flix.net, chrisy@flirble.org.
== Head of Systems for Easynet Group PLC.