Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:42:20 -0400
From:      Tomas Quintero <tomasq@gmail.com>
To:        Broming plutonium <zhangzhaoxi2003@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting to the Internet

On 4/25/05, Broming plutonium <zhangzhaoxi2003@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> [...]
 in
> (I don't think so), and while every command has # in front of it? vi
> wouldn't work, and view and ex don't work either. I also have a copy of t=
he
> original rc.conf file; how do I dump the data into the current rc.conf fi=
le
> which is driving me crazy because I made an error in it?
> =20
> > Is sl0 internal or external? Is the FreeBSD box going to NAT for your
> > second computer?
>=20
> I don't know--I think sl0 is the network card, and if I'm right it's
> internal. Also, I'll be 80 when I even dare to think about making FreeBSD
> NAT for my other computer. My Linksys router is the NAT router for all my
> computers. =20
> =20
>=20
> Tomas Quintero <tomasq@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/05, Broming plutonium wrote:
> > Hello everyone...for the first time.
> >=20
> > I have two computers. I very recently installed FreeBSD on my first
> computer because the operating system it used to have, Microsoft Windows,
> was infected by so many viruses that my computer took a million years to
> open a program.
> >=20
> > I've only had 2 days of experience with FreeBSD, so I don't know anythi=
ng
> about it. How do I connect it to the Internet using Ethernet? My computer
> seemed to be telling me it had three network interfaces. I'm guessing tha=
> the ones called plip0 and ppp0 are all wrong; sl0 is the right one.
> >=20
> > FreeBSD tries to establish an Internet connection on plip0 every time i=
> boots. How do I change that to sl0? How do I tell it to "tell DHCP server=
> assign IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on subnet mask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx USING th=
> sl0 network interface?
> >=20
> > What do I have to do to establish an Internet connection? Any help woul=
> be >appreciated. Thanks!
>=20
> Firstly, by telling the DHCP server to assign a static-IP address to a
> specific system on the network, what sort of DHCP server are you
> speaking of. Are you asking about your ISPs DHCP, a
> Linksys/Dlink/other SOHO DHCP device, or are you attempting to setup
> your own internal DHCP server such as ISC-DHCP for your LAN.
>=20
> Secondly, the quick and easy way to change around things so that sl0
> pulls an IP is to run /stand/sysinstall and reconfigure your Network
> Interfaces. You could also edit rc.conf manually and set up the sl0
> interface that way, to either pull a static or dynamic IP.
>=20
> Is sl0 internal or external? Is the FreeBSD box going to NAT for your
FreeBSD performing NAT is really really easy. If you do a little
research perhaps into PF which I'm currently trying to learn, it's
pretty simple to do, compared to what I've seen from IPFW.

>>> How do I open a text editor to edit the rc.conf file while I'm not
logged in (I don't think so), and while every command has # in front
of it? vi wouldn't work, and view and ex don't work either. I also
have a copy of the original rc.conf file; how do I dump the data into
the current rc.conf file which is driving me crazy because I made an
error in it?

You could just do:
cat rc.conf.backup > rc.conf
If I'm not mistaken if you have a backup copy of your rc.conf.

As several people have said in this chain of emails, sl0 is not
actually one of your NICs. I believe it is a serial port or something,
but I don't quite remember.

If you could, please post the results from 'ifconfig' and perhaps your
dmesg to resolve which devices are your interfaces. Also check to make
sure your interfaces are plugged in, perhaps even run the cat5 to them
while you are installing so that the NIC is definitely detected by
FreeBSD.

--=20
-Tomas Quintero