Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:44:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ugo Paternostro <paterno@dsi.UNIFI.IT>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: jdk1.1.5 and ICQ

On 19-Mar-98 David E. Cross wrote about "jdk1.1.5 and ICQ":
> I am having trouble connecting to the ICQW network with JDK 1.1.5, it does
> not seem to ever send any packets out.  (this is with TCPDUMP on the same
> host.)

Just my 0.02$: yes, me too. I'm using jdk 1.1.5 980225 on a -stable
installation. BTW, I installed both jdk 1.1 and 1.1.5 and switch between them
changing a link. Using 1.1 I am able to connect to the ICQ server and to search
users, but using 1.1.5 I cannot. Unluckly, if you use jdk 1.1 ICQ will soon
crash with a lot of AWT errors.

Chatting with other ICQ users works perfectly with 1.1.5: it just seems to have
problem talking to the server (that's not completely true, because you must
"logon" somehow and receive the list of currently logged on users...)

BTW, me too, I have to signal java_X to make it exit.

I would be glad to provide as much information as I can, if you (developers on
the mailing list) need it.

P.S.: try my port for ICQJava 0.981a. I sent a PR, but it has not been commited
yet.

> David Cross

Bye, UP