Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:34:53 -0600
From:      Joe.Warner@smed.com
To:        Janko van Roosmalen <janko@compuserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazin

I subscribed to Linux Magazine a few months before I installed FreeBSD,
and I already would be happy with a FreeBSD column. If we cannot get a
magazine a column would be better than nothing.

I agree.  This is also why the prospect of having a magazine that will
include BSD related articles, such as The Open Source Developer's
Journal (mentioned previously) is exciting and should provide some
much needed exposure to the BSDs and the BSD community.

The Oct edition had nice articles about how
to set up "postfix" and how to secure DNS and Bind.

Yes, it's a very well written magazine and I've enjoyed
reading it for a long time, as well.  Hopefully, if a BSD focused
magazine emerges in the future, it will be of the same caliber.

Joe

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          Janko van    |
|        |          Roosmalen    |
|        |          <janko@compus|
|        |          erve.com>    |
|        |                       |
|        |          10/02/00     |
|        |          04:13 PM     |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     Joe Warner <jswarner@uswest.net>          |
  |       cc:     freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG,              |
  |       freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, (bcc: Joe           |
  |       Warner/SMS)                                       |
  |       Subject:     Re: BSD Magazin                      |
  >---------------------------------------------------------|

I subscribed to Linux Magazine a few months before I installed FreeBSD,
and I already would be happy with a FreeBSD column. If we cannot get a
magazine a column would be better than nothing. Remember Marcuse's
phrase "march through the institutions".

Even though I use Linux hardly anymore I renewed my subscription, because
of the many non-Linux related articels. The Oct edition edition had nice
articles about how to set up "postfix" and how to secure DNS and Bind.

My 0.02 devaluated Eurocents

===Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands===

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Joe Warner wrote:

> Regarding the long thread that ensued, a while back, after I posted and
> questioned the possibility of a BSD magazine in print....below is a
> response I got from one of the editors of Linux Magazine.
>
> Why would advertising be such a big problem, since most applications
> that are made for Linux, will run on *BSD?  What products are
> made for Linux exclusively and won't run on *BSD?
>
> Joe
>

> Linux Magazine Editors wrote:
>

> > I agree with you that a FreeBSD magazine would be a really cool idea,
and

> > that there are a substantial number of readers who would support it.
> >
> > The problem is the other side of the equation -- advertisers.
> > Unfortunately, there are not enough  companies that make products for
BSD