Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:35:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Nathan Vidican" <>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Oracle 8i 8.1.7 / FreeBSD

Has anyone successfully installed Oracle for Linux on a FreeBSD
machine, that would care to give a quick run-down of what they did in
order to accomplish this task.

I have tried following the article in the handbook, but when I get to
running the installer I get an error logged to console 1 (through
syslog presumably) as follows:

linux: modify_ldt needs kernel option USER_LDT

Well, apparently FreeBSD's config file for the kernel doesn't seem to
like that option. I do have SYSV semaphores, message ques, and shared
memory options compiled in the kernel as stated in the handbook.

From the xterm window when I try to run the Oracle installation:

bash$ pwd
/usr/compat/linux/home/oracle/downloads/Disk1
bash$ ./runInstaller
Initializing Java VirtualMachine
From ../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux
/bin/jre. Please wait...
ldt_clear: modify_ldt: Function not implemented
ldt_clear: modify_ldt: Function not implemented
SIGSERV received at bfbfefb0
in /usr/compat/linux/home/oracle/downloads/Disk1/stage/Components/orace.
swd.jre/1.1.8/1/DataFiles/Expanded/linux/lib/linux/native_threads/libjav
a.so. Processing terminated
Writing stack trace to javacore812.txt...
bash$

If anyone could shed some light on where to go/what to try next that
would be greatly appreciated as I'm totally lost at this point?

--
Nathan Vidican
Nathan@Vidican.com