Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:03:26 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Warren Welch <wwlists@intraceptives.com.au>, Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>, Ugen Antsilevitch <ugen@xonix.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI modems do not work???

> "Matthew N. Dodd" wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Warner Losh wrote:
> > > Might be a good time have a sys/dev/sio and have pccard, cardbus, pci
> > > and isa attachments there.  Yes, I did say cardbus, since I have seen
> > > cardbus PCI modems that are NOT winmodems.
> >
> > And MCA and EISA attachments.
>
> Well, it seems Bruce objects to this..  I don't know why though.

My guess is that he's worried that we'll end up with lots of additional
'indirection' through the system, thus slowing down the ability to
service interrupts in a quick manner.

Also, don't fast interrupts depend on the ISA bus?  Fast interrupts are
a requirement for *any* machine to run at a reasonable speed, old/slow
or new/fast, it doesn't make any difference.

Nate