Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 2006 18:45:16 +0100
From:      Kirill Ponomarew <krion@voodoo.bawue.com>
To:        Spadge <spadge@fromley.net>
Cc:        Jeff Cross <jeff.cross@averageadmins.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble Upgrading Ports

On Sat, Feb 25, 2006 at 05:41:59PM +0000, Spadge wrote:
> Eric Schuele wrote:
> >Jeff Cross wrote:
> >
> >>I have been upgrading my ports using portupgrade -varR but have run
> >>across a few that are giving me fits.
> >>
> >>When trying to update scrollkeeper I get the following:
> >>
> >>You must have XML::Parser installed to run ../../intltool-merge
> >>

> >I ran into this.  I did a `make deinstall` and `make reinstall` on
> >p5-XML-Parser.  it did the trick.
> >
> >But Now I have other problems see "Trouble building gnomeprint".  I do
> >not know if they are related in any way.
>
> I found that with the recent update of perl5, an awful lot of perl5's
> little wizards are failing to portupgrade as the system tries to install
> them as dependancies even though (or because) they are already installed.
>
> I once wrote a shell script to combat this sort of behaviour, as it is
> something I have run up against time and time again with the perl5 port.
> It looks something like this (I fully expect my email to kill the
> formatting of this, with like linewrap and everything, so beware):

Did you read ports/UPDATING recomendation about how to update
perl dependencies ?

20060220:
  AFFECTS: users of lang/perl5.8
  AUTHOR: tobez@FreeBSD.org

  lang/perl5.8 has been updated to 5.8.8.  You should update everything
  depending on perl.  The easiest way to do that is to use
  perl-after-upgrade script supplied with lang/perl5.8.  Please see
  its manual page for details.

-Kirill