Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2014 18:40:30 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
To:        Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg equivalent of "pkg_info -R"

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 13:31:56 +0100
Andrea Venturoli <ml@netfence.it> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> This question was asked before, but I could find no answer...
>
> I used to get a list of installed ports depending on a port with
> "pkg_info -R xxx".
>
> Now I'm trying pkgng out and, amongst other difficulties (sorry, but I
> think documentation about pkgng is still not sufficient), I can't seem
> to find an equivalent command.

I'm finally getting used to using "man pkg-query" to access the man pages
even though the command is "pkg query ...".  An alternative method is
the "pkg help query".

> I know "pkg info -r xxx", but this will just list ports which *directly*
> depend on xxx. I could find no way to get indirect dependents too.
>
> Is there something I'm missing? Any additional utility I can install?

I think what you're looking for is "pkg query %ro xxx".  Look under
Multiline Patterns in man pkg-query.  Note that it only lists run
dependencies since build dependencies are irrelevant with packages.

HTH,

Randy