Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:58:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        rnordier@nordier.com (Robert Nordier)
Cc:        rizzo@aciri.org, rnordier@nordier.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot1 changes and etherboot support

> >   + put some conditional-compilation code in boot1.s
> >   + have a separate file, say bootrom.s, maybe in the same directory
> >     as the existing boot1
> >   + pass the modified code to the etherboot people so they can include
> >     in their source tree.
> >
> > in all sincerity i'd love to have this code in the FreeBSD source tree
> > rather than have to resort to some external repository.
>
> My preference would be for a separate file in a separate directory,
> more or less similar to cdldr and pxeldr; I'd be least keen on handling
> this with conditional-compilation.

ok.. do you mind then if i follow your advice and create /sys/i386/romldr/
and put there the modified boot1, makefile etc ?
There has been no other feedback so i think most other people is neutral.

On a separate issue, and for picobsd purposes, it would be very
convenient to have yet another boot sector type that would just
take an ELF kernel appended to it, load into memory and start it.
I suppose this would be a variant of boot2, but do you have any
idea on how complex would it be to write such a beast ?

If we had it, we could just 'dd' the boot code and the kernel onto
a compactflash and boot from it without having to worry about
creating a filesystem.

	cheers
	luigi