Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:47:32 +0100
From:      Holger Kipp <hk@alogis.com>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will be gone

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 10:51:37PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Anton Berezin wrote:
>
> >Unless I hear too many cries "don't do that" (with justification), I
> >plan to not create any perl symlinks in /usr/bin in the forthcoming
> >upgrade of both lang/perl5.8 (to 5.8.6) and lang/perl5 (to 5.6.2).  This
> >will ONLY be true for FreeBSD 5.X and FreeBSD CURRENT;  the existing
> >pollution of /usr/bin will still be performed for older versions of
> >FreeBSD, if requested via use.perl script.

[...]

> I'm fine with this plan for 6-CURRENT.  For 5-STABLE, it's a major
> user-visible change, and that is something that we promised to avoid
> with stable branches.

It violates POLA on 5-STABLE, and it will violate POLA on 6-CURRENT,
especially as most perl programmers assume /usr/bin/perl to be the
correct path.

We had enough good arguments against this change already, so imho
the correct thing to do is do just what Kris asked for: remove the
_dangling_ symlinks.

Regards,
Holger Kipp