Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 18:57:21 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        awarecons <awarecons@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, java@freebsd.org, dinoex@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: www/opera ISSUE Java Plugin missing

On 01/18/13 13:19, awarecons wrote:
>> Are you saying the handbook instructions for enabling java in Opera
>> do not work, then?
>
> Seems to be so in the case.
>
>> You're doing something wrong, than. Opera 12.12 on my system
>> catches java/icedtea-web I just installed Opera, launched it, and
>> checked the plugin list[0,1].
>
> I've installed the same vers. of plugin: icedtea-web-1.3.1   A free
> Java plug-in and Java Web Start for OpenJDK
>
> And, as it was mentioned above, IcedTeaPlugin.so is caught by
> FireFox, SeaMonkey, Chromium and Epiphany even)) except Opera.
<snip>
> Obvious diff. is in arch (i386) and osvers. (9.0-REL-p5), but it
> would be strange if it really matters in the case...

I don't think it would, but I only installed Opera to prove on my system
whether or not Opera was catching the plugin. I think it's one of the
worst browsers in existence (next to IE).

> May there be such dependence that java/icedtea-web needs to be
> installed _strictly_ after browser(s) installation, not before?
<snip>

I installed the icetea-web plugin after I installed Firefox and haven't
touched it since then except for updates. I absolutely didn't issue a
single command except to launch Opera after I installed it. So when I
say I just installed Opera, that is all I literally did.

Check ~/.opera/pluginpath.ini

this is what mine looks like
[Paths]
/usr/local/lib/browser_plugins/symlinks/opera=1
/usr/local/lib/npapi/symlinks/opera=1
/usr/local/lib/npapi/symlinks/linux-opera=1

I have no idea if Opera catches any of these paths, these are the
defaults upon install.
--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org