Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:30:28 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Quo vadis, -CURRENT? (recent changes to cc & compatibility)

Sorry if this sounds a bit flame-ish, but the way I see it we now have a
system compiler in -CURRENT that doesn't even compile a hello world if
-pedantic is specified and breaks with lots of existing software out there
that tries to use a threads library because -pthread errors out (why could
this change not have been made _after_ 4.9 is out the door, btw.? Or before
5.0-R FWIW.)

Are we expecting people to be able to compile software directly from the
commandline at all these days and in the future on a (stable) FreeBSD-5?

Is the decision criterion for making acceptable changes to core system
components that we can somehow make 3rd party software compiling via
ports-collection hacks?

I feel that a FreeBSD that manages to break so many existing configure-scripts
and build systems is degraded in usefulness.

-
    ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org