Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:16:34 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@leidinger.net>, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@gmx.de>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: NOT installing the .la files

--nextPart2053158.LJJ4D0qY3R

On Wednesday, 14. June 2006 22:16, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> =D3=C5=D2=C5=C4=C1 14 =DE=C5=D2=D7=C5=CE=D8 2006 12:09, Michael Nottebroc=
k =CE=C1=D0=C9=D3=C1=D7:
> > Of such a buildtime error? No. Here's a line from an typical libtool
> > archive:
> >
> > # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> > dependency_libs=3D' -L/usr/local/lib -lz /usr/local/lib/libiconv.la -lm'
> >
> > libtool will use that verbatim during linking.
>
> I think, it will use that verbatim only if it detected the presence of
> libiconv.la earlier -- just as the literal "/usr/local" must be a
> configure-time setting.
>
> The libiconv-1.9.2_1 installed on this computer, for example, did not come
> with a libiconv.la. Yet everything seems to have built fine after it...

Yes - most user's installations, like yours, are currently in a phase of=20
transition, where some ports already have had their libraries installed wit=
h=20
libtool archives and some have not - that transition works smoothly. The=20
other way around, it does not.

> Unless there is a convincing example of things breaking without an .la
> file, these should be deleted.

You know it doesn't work that way around. Prove that it's safe, before you =
go=20
ahead and potentially break everyone's installations out there. There's=20
convincing evidence it's not - after all, the old libtool *was* patched in=
=20
order to support this (and still never quite did for everything, I and kde@=
=20
should know), while the current one is not.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org