Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2014 10:18:46 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>
To:        Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>, Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
Cc:        Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman@gmail.com>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?
References:  <CAHcXP%2Bf6e-t--XbQPTH1goJp_CL7P=zTj5trZVWd4YZ_EsO9gw@mail.gmail.com>	<CAGBxaX=t3e5SXoBDHnzAbx=SWbEFMJHNPQL13FnwNgKWM3gCiA@mail.gmail.com>	<CAHcXP%2Bew5qt5hc9Y%2BR_njPkfhUMsDDAqNk9aYSacV4PwBmqjfw@mail.gmail.com>	<CAGBxaXnXwo4JxnRdffZfdvfETfhgJNkFM-N23H1SOT0G3-oMwA@mail.gmail.com>	<CAE-m3X2dQTTsbrTJg2iPT3qkfq7h9U8oGbRZXGAXH%2BJ2T4MFNw@mail.gmail.com>	<CAHcXP%2BdtHPHT%2BFD8RdcqhGANBPf1Gk4N4coEpZY-eAuQE3iZtg@mail.gmail.com>	<CAE-m3X2rWk-0k_yH1PK0iN_5YhvSh1UsV0VCrroJq==687X1ZQ@mail.gmail.com>	<52E43A80.4030501@rawbw.com>	<CAGBxaXnfb2yPZZCaf6mYzASzT13b68A8iPT6eUwUdU9W1ya_Qg@mail.gmail.com>	<52E44BC1.7040404@rawbw.com>	<CAGBxaXkCWAAfA%2B7x9-icTwO4Vd78EGOeh5-4eG3DUJ_gGVHT1g@mail.gmail.com>	<52E46D44.6050403@freebsd.org>	<52E47EF7.7040402@ohlste.in> <CAHcXP%2Bfk2T1%2BoYW45BjcimujedJJ2uE%2BS-FutGbyam2i3QRnog@mail.gmail.com>

On 1/26/14 5:25 AM, Big Lebowski wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 4:20 AM, Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in
> <mailto:jim@ohlste.in>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>

>     On 1/25/14, 9:04 PM, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
>         On 1/25/14 3:48 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>
>             On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com
>             <mailto:yuri@rawbw.com>> wrote:
>
>                 On 01/25/2014 14:44, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
>
>                     The key seems to be that no one has time to do the
>                     stuff they really
>                     want
>                     to do (get new ports into the system)... to that
>                     end automating
>                     everything
>                     that can be automated is sure help free up
>                     comitter time so they can
>                     look
>                     at what is interesting
>
>                 Yes. I just can't imagine any generic port tests that
>                 can't be automated
>                 and coded into the script once and for good.
>                 Ideal system should be like github with the added
>                 automated testing
>                 between pull request submission and merge. It should
>                 either fail and
>                 notify
>                 the submitter, or succeed and notify the committers.
>
>             Git hup (or *ANY* remote service for that matter) is a no
>             go IMO
>

>         You just don't get it.
>
>         Again, you just really, really, don't get it.
>
>         You WANT a gateway to a remote service that the project does
>         not have to
>         handle.
>
>         Why?  Because then we offload the problem to another org.
>
>         The FreeBSD project should be about innovation in OS design,
>         platform
>         and software.  Ops work is bunk and just slows us down.
>
>         The more we can outsource the better we'll be.  (and what if that
>         service blows up?  well we move on!  it's simple!)
>
>         Continuing to insist that we run the services ourselves it
>         just wasting
>         our limited resources.  Not only that but we get emotionally
>         attached to
>         technologies that are old, dying and dead when off the shelf
>         stuff works
>         just fine.
>

>     I've read all 60 or so messages in this thread and there really
>     are two related but distinct issues here.
>
>     The thread title is "What is the problem with ports PR reaction
>     delays?". This has meandered into a philosophical debate about who
>     knows what and who knows squat about version control systems,
>     whether we need to maintain certain requirements, testing ports, etc.
>
>     I like the KISS approach myself. This can be boiled down to those
>     two issues, one of which is a symptom of the other. Arguing and
>     debating over a long term solution to the OP's question does
>     nothing to solve the problem in the short to intermediate term.
>     There are 1680 current ports related PR's at this moment.
>
>     As we all know, the committers are volunteers, mostly with real
> [...]

Thanks Big Lebowski <spankthespam@gmail.com>!

I'm not sure if taking your word for it will be the be all and end all
of progress on this issue.  I do have hope, after all as Max Plancksaid:

"A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually
die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it."

I just have my fingers cross that we are not so insular, so heels dug
deep in the dirt, and so curmudgeonly that we drive away anyone
interested in new technology.

I mean, if we're all so firm in our beliefs there are dozens of other
open source projects that encourage new things that people will flock to.

-Alfred