Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 14:56:32 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Outbound Connections Limit == 4K (?)

In message <199811242219.OAA23491@root.com>, you wrote:

>>Is there some sort of a hard limit burried in the kernel someplace
>>(e.g. 4K) on the total number of outbound connections allowed from
>>a single FreeBSD system?
>>
>>That's the impression I'm getting.
>
>   The default port range that the kernel will allocate from is 1024-5000,
>which is just under 4000 ports. You can change the upper number with sysctl;
>check out net.inet.ip.portrange.last.

Thanks David.

One more question... What would be the largest value that it would be
reasonable to set the value of net.inet.ip.portrange.last to?

If I set it to 32767, will that mess anything else up?

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/