Date:      Wed, 27 Dec 1995 10:43:54 +1100
From:      Peter Marelas <Peter.Marelas@fulcrum.com.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, mcquiggi@sfu.ca
Subject:   Re: Install problems

> From owner-freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org Wed Dec 27 09:20:47 1995
> Date: Tue, 26 Dec 1995 14:38:47 -0800
> To: questions@freebsd.org
> From: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi@sfu.ca>
> Subject: Install problems
> Sender: owner-questions@freebsd.org
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm having a problem installing 2.1. I am an experienced 1.1 user.
>
> I have the 2.1 CDROM. My FreeBSD box does NOT have a CDROM drive.
>
> My Windows machine, however, does have a CDROM. I run QVTNET on the Windows
> machine, and it supports an ftp server.
>
> I want to install via ftp. This is the same configuration that I used to
> install 1.1.
>
> I booted my FreeBSD box from the floppy. I followed all the steps, and chose
> the "developer" configuration for dists to install. I chose ftp as the media
> type, and specified my Windows machine as the URL: ftp://142.58.14.242. I
> had changed the login name to "anonymous" in the "options" menu, and pointed
> the anonymous login directory to E:\DISTS on the Windows machine.
>
> I supplied correct values for my hostname, gateway, IP address etc. My
> Windows machine is on the local subnet.

Then you dont need a "gateway".

> A connection is made to the Windows box, but I receive a message to the
> effect that "distributions are not available on the server specified", and
> it lists all of the packages (bin, manpages, etc) in the "developer" selection.
>
> The ftp connection remains open to the Windows machine.
>
> Undaunted, I thought that perhaps the initial login dir should be the root
> dir of the CD, and so tried E:\ instead of E:\DISTS as the "anonymous" login
> point.

Pressing ALT-F3, I think it is, gives you a shell, try ftp to your windows box, and see what you get as well..
Try to mimic what freebsd "would" be doing..
Do you see any errors?

> I also tried "ftp passive".
>
> Nothing worked. I tried a clean install from the boot floppy, and this time
> specified "ftp.freebsd.org" as the server to install from. No go, same
> messages about packages being unavilable from the server. Same with ftp
> passive from ftp.freebsd.org. And yes, I changed the user name back to "ftp"
> (using WHAP!) before trying the standard site.
>
> I tried using anonymous as the user name. Still no go. I tried other
> standard sites such as "ftp.leo.org" and ftp.synapse.com". Still no luck.
>
> I yearn for the days of 1.1 when I could do this myself by running ftp and
> retrieving and extracting the dists manually.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Is there any way to dump the menu system and get to a shell prompt from
> whence ftp can be run? VTY4 doesn't seem to install ftp in /stand, and "ls"
> doesn't work so that I can't find it on my own. It must be there somewhere!

I installed it the same way..

2 things..

make sure anyone can login with ftp.

second..

the tree structure should look exactly the same as ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE

that is..

bin/
src/
des/

etc...

But only include the directories/files you want to install..

so..

If all this sits under foo.com.au:/freebsd

give freebsd exactly that..

and the structure would be..

e:\freebsd\bin
e:\freebsd\src