Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 08:43:18 -0500
From:      "Steve Bertrand" <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        "'Ashley Moran'" <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: if_bridge interface confuses Windows Small Business Server 2000

> FreeBSD 6 came at the perfect time for me.  I've just
> switched my primary desktop from Win2k to FreeBSD, and I put
> the Windows boot disk in an old machine that was heading for the skip.
>
> I wanted to access the W2k machine (fred) over VNC without
> flooding our switch, so I thought let's take advantage of the
> new features in REL 6...  I added a second ethernet card to
> my FreeBSD box (alfie) and configured a bridge in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> 	ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"
> 	ifconfig_rl1="up"
> 	cloned_interfaces="bridge0"
> 	ifconfig_bridge0="addm rl0 addm rl1 up"
> 	gateway_enable="YES"
>
> SBS is configured to give a static DHCP lease of
> 192.168.0.181 to alfie; fred is dynamic and is currently 192.168.0.35.
>
> At first everything seemed fine, and fred operates as if it
> was plugged straight into the network.
>
> But...
>
> 1) SBS sees both machines as alfie, even though it correctly
> reports the MAC addresses of each machine
>
> 2) On alfie, when I want to make a VNC connection to fred I
> have to type "vnc viewer alfie"(!)
>
> 3) On fred, if I ping alfie it returns 192.168.0.35 as the IP
> number, not 181 which is the static lease.
>

> I assume this is a bug in if_bridge, only because I assumed
> that bridge
> interfaces should be transparent (and act like a physical switch).
>
> When we get some small switches in I'll use one to connect
> the two machines
> together, but I'd still like to work out what's going on
> here.  Am I doing
> something wrong?

I'm a wee bit confused here, but I do understand what you are trying to
do.

First, did you compile a new kernel with the following option?:

options BRIDGE

Second, try giving both PC's a static IP address, and disconnect the
FBSD box entirely from the network (so you essentially have a 2 pc
network), then commence testing.

HTH,

Steve