Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 2008 14:53:51 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, jT <toyj@union.edu>
Subject:   Re: 256-byte inode support

--81JctsDUVPekGcy+

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 11:07:47AM -0400, Wesley Shields wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 07:26:27PM -0400, jT wrote:
> > hackers,
> >=20
> >     since tytso had updated ext3 -- i've noticed that i can't use my
> > 265-byte inode ext3 drives -- is there any effort to update it?  If
> > not -- if you know where i should attempt to start please let me know
> > so i can start working on support (i have a few other people i know
> > interested in this) -- thanks and hope everyone is well
>=20
> There was a PR submitted for it and eventually a patch added to the PR.
> I've tested the patch given in the URL at the port and it works.  We
> will start to see more of this as the newer version becomes more common
> in the wild.
>=20
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3Dkern/124621
>=20
> Would be nice to see this fixed in 7.1 but it may be too late for that.

What was the reason for increasing inode size ? I think it is rather
pointless to increase the size without using newly added space for some
data. Is inode format the same for the first 128 bytes, and does data
at the second 128 bytes should be used to correctly interpret inode ?

--81JctsDUVPekGcy+

--81JctsDUVPekGcy+--