Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:48:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Sam <sah@softcardsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   splxxx level?

Hello -

I'm almost to testing on my AoE driver for 4.x and have
a question about interrupt priority levels.

There are currently three entry points into the driver:

a) strategy routine
b) network frame reception routine
c) timer rexmit routine

Any of the three can diddle with the device structure
and thusly I need to ensure they're not running simultaneously.
For example, the network reception can cause a buf to be completed
and the rexmit timer can cause a buf to be failed.

So, what kind of contexts are the callout, strategy, and
network soft interrupt called in?  Which splxxx will give
one of them exclusive access to whatever they need?

Just as a reality check -- I am thinking about this correct, right?

Cheers,

Sam