Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 18:03:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Blocksizes (was Re: i/o error with larger QIC)

J Wunsch writes:
> =

> . QIC only accepts three possible block size settings: 0 (variable),
>   512, 1024.  8 mm accepts everything up to 240 KB.  I don't know how
>   other tape systems behave here, but i haven't seen anybody who would
>   use odd fixed-length blocksizes either, so it's probably rather a
>   mood point.

For sane normal Unix blocksize isn't a life and death matter. OTOH I've
worked the past several years in a "data center" where tapes and other
media was deposited and checked into the "library." Often we had no idea
what was on the tape or how it was written. But if somebody requested a
copy it was my job to figure out how to dupe it if the technician's
cookbook approach failed.

Most tapes were 8mm. Most tapes were in tar format. Most tapes were not
blocked at 10k.

A lot of tapes were apparently written on a VAX directly from FORTRAN.
In this case the first block was 80 bytes. The next couple of blocks
would be of random size, then a repeating pattern of blocksizes would
emerge.

Often (3) EOF's were used to mark a single intended EOF. Solaris
provides a "Berkeley" tape device which eats these 3 EOF's. Otherwise
the Solaris tcopy falsely stops early. I ported FreeBSD's tcopy to Irix
and had one special version where I was hacking on the EOD detection.
Got bit in the difference between Irix 6.2 and 6.3 here.

Recently saw a tape with 488 tape files. Each with 3 EOF's. Took 8 or =

12 hours to tcopy as apparently an Exabyte 8505 takes a long time to =

write an EOF.

Given a choice I'll always choose Irix over Solaris. Especially when
hosting a system for lusers. But the most annoying thing about Irix is
that it defaults to 256k and 126k (or is it 128k?) blocksizes for 4mm
and 8mm respectively. Not too awful as /var/sysgen/master.d/scsi lets
you select the default. The bad thing is unless told otherwise the SCSI
tape device driver will write a new tape with whatever blocksize was
last seen. Can you say, "tar 2G of data with 512 byte blocksize?" Or =

31k? Or how about the luser who was writting 1024k blocksize because =

the system would do it and he thought it would be faster?

One contract ends, I get moved to another with similar duties but a
chance to start with a clean sheet. So far we only have one system and
its running FreeBSD with (4) Seagate Scorpion DDS-3 drives attached. Its
serving well as I have more control of our incoming data now. OTOH the
hardware wish list includes an SGI O2 simply the injest data the FreeBSD
system can't grok. One day I'll experiment with the kernel parameter
which limits max blocksize (have "HOWTO" archived) but probably won't
get around to it until I'm under the gun.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D