Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 14:20:52 +0000
From:      Craig Wilson <craig@natsoft.com.au>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Stability Of FreeBSD 2.2.5 CD-ROM Release

National Software Pty Ltd is a computer software company situated
in Tasmania, Australia which developes multi-user accounting software.
National Software Pty Ltd has a client base of over 550.

Over the last 12 months I have been recommending to my Unix clients that
they use FreeBSD in preferance to SCO Unix as their operating system.
I have compiled the NATSOFT range of software to run under FreeBSD.
I now have 13 individual clients running FreeBSD on 26 computer systems.
They are running versions from 2.1.6 to 2.2.2

I have found FreeBSD to be a very reliable and stable operating system.
Credit must be given to the FreeBSD team for a very good product.
As National Software is a commercial entity there is no time available
for make world etc on each computer that FreeBSD is installed on,
and because clients computers are placed all over the place it is not
possible to keep their operating systems current. The operating system
should be stable as installed from the CD-ROM with a minimum of patches,
otherwise it is unusable.

When a FreeBSD system is installed I first install from the CD-ROM
release (binaries and kernal sources only), then tar a floppy of
configuration files & patched source files over the installed system,
modify any kernal parameters, and then rebuild the kernel.
This makes installation a fast process.

It is important that the operating system is stable, and from the
mailing lists I am not sure whether the 2.2.5 CD-ROM release is stable
ie the VM lookup (kern/4844) problem. Could you please comment, and
perhaps advise of any known stability problems with the 2.2.5 release
and the files/patches that would be needed to cure any problems,
or am I best to stay with 2.2.2, which has been very stable, and wait
for 2.2.6 to be released. I have a FreeBSD subscription.

Thanks in advance for any information you may be able to give me,
and thanks to the team for a great operating system.

Regards,

Craig Wilson
National Software Pty.Ltd.