Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 11:13:47 -0700
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, William Carrel <william.a@carrel.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.5 PRERELEASE - Call for testing

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 09:30:20PM -0800, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2001, at 19:56, William Carrel boldly uttered:
>> Using switch settings to obtain this sort of configuration/protection is
>> at best crude.  Try dummynet(4) and/or some QoS capable network
>> hardware.
>
> The switches and NICs for many years already should have the inherent
> ability to run locked at 10Mbps.  Indeed they push this as a
> "feature".  Why should I go spend outrageous sums on overpriced "QoS"
> hardware or install an entirely new box for this purpose when the
> existing switches and NICs should already do what I need?

I too support hierarchical bandwidth topologies.

Unless you're banging around medical images or such, 10Mbps to the
desktop is plenty.  Then connect the switches/hubs together at
100Mbps, and use gigabit between any core routers.

That way, no one user can saturate a segment.  Happier users,
happier me.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.com