Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:30:35 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <software@kew.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: State of the union, 1999.

> 3.0 was not meant to be evangelised.  Read the release materials.

Yes, just to clarify this, we were indeed very much worried about the
stability of 3.0 and were more concerned about compromising our
reputation for robust behavior than we were about getting PR for 3.0.

Was this a tactical mistake?  Maybe, and only time will tell, but I
still think that while you're doing well it's a good idea to stick to
what you know, and what we know best is being conservative and always
underselling, to a certain degree, our new technology until we're more
sure of its applicability to production environments.  Ideally, I'd
like to see the convergence of these two goals occur at the point
where we have enough personnel to both do exciting new features and
test them to the point where we're confident of them.  There is still
plenty of time for volunteer developers to join us before 4.0 comes
out! :-)

> > Someone at the online end of either CMP publications or IDG (I forget which
)
> > was actively looking for an official FreeBSD mouthpiece the week after 3.0
> > came out, and they couldn't find anyone.  Nada.

Actaully, just to second Mike's assertion that they didn't try very hard,
I also contacted them from Holland and gave them contact information there.
I never even got a reply to my email.

- Jordan