Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 21:03:48 +0200
From:      Rene de Vries <rene@canyon.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jfesler@gigo.com
Subject:   Re: How stable is soft updates?

On Thu, 08 Apr 1999, jfesler@gigo.com wrote:
>Some stuff I didn't see answers for..
> 1: how stable is it :-)

The only problem I've had (but that is some time ago) is that *if* your
filesystem fills up and you delete something and right away create some other
files (or enlarge existing files) the file system seems full. The is as far as
I know fixed.

> 2: If I somehow manage to boot from a kernel lacking soft updates,
>    will the partition still be mountable (ie, sans soft updates)?

I don't know if it is recommended practice; the fsck is slightly different, but
I'm not sure if it matters (I sometimes boot my GENERIC kernel without
softupdates and I've never seen anything strang there).

> 3: How do we tunefs "/" ?

go to single user mode: "shutdown now"
remount your filesystem read-only: "mount -u -r /"
run tunefs: "tunefs -n enable /"
press ^D to return to multi-user mode.

--
Rene de Vries                    http://www.tcja.nl/~rene; mailto:rene@tcja.nl