Date:      09 Oct 1997 07:58:09 -0500
From:      Dave Marquardt <marquard@zilker.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: adding C code to tcl and perl

Marco Molteni <mm470047@silab.dsi.unimi.it> writes:
> Now correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really disappointed to see that
> the only way to add new commands to tcl is compiling and linking
> a new tclsh or a new wish, while, if I use perl, I can simply add
> a require or use instruction (or similar) in the script from wich
> I want to use a C package (I know that obviously the package
> or library or how you call it must be linked with the perl library).

No, that's certainly not the only way to add new commands to Tcl.  You
can use the Tcl package facility to load a shared object or shared
library into tclsh or wish.  You might go look at some of the
extensions listed in <URL:http://www.sco.com/Technology/tcl/Tcl.html>;
and see how they set up their package files and such.  Also, you'll
need to make sure tclsh and wish are compiled to enable loading of
shared libraries.

If you need more help, check the newsgroup comp.lang.tcl, or feel free
to send me e-mail.

-Dave