Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:29:46 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jesper Skriver <jesper@skriver.dk>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>, Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>, John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>, developers@FreeBSD.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>, owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3-RC5 now on ftp.freebsd.org

>On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 06:05:42PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> In message <Pine.BSF.4.10.10104200854050.37148-100000@athena.uniserve.ca>, Tom
>> writes:

>> >  The server is in New York on lightning.net.  It has been there for quite
>> >some time.
>>
>> With or without probelms, I think we should have a "ftp-master"
>> just like we have a cvsup-master server.
>
>Agree, preferably supporting SITE MD5 or rsync ...
>
>> It is very unsatisfactory have our main published FQDN down, but it
>> is stupid that all of the rest mirrors from a machine with known
>> problem...
>
>And even in "normal" situations, it's quite hard to actually get all the
>bit's from ftp.freesoftware.com ...

   You know, it is impossible to please everyone. When the machine was on the
west coast, people on the east coast complained all the time that performance
sucked. Then we move it to the east coast, and people on the west coast
complain.
   You are right that the performance has sucked generally for awhile,
however. Lightning has been bandwidth limiting us, resulting in lower
performance than what people had gotten used to.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.