Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2019 14:39:43 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        lausts@acm.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting anything after r352057 kills console

On 9/23/19 2:32 PM, Thomas Laus wrote:
> Poul-Henning Kamp [phk@phk.freebsd.dk] wrote:
>> --------
>> In message <11db909b-57ee-b452-6a17-90ec2765c36e@acm.org>, Thomas Laus writes:
>>
>>> Where do I go from here?  The computer is an Intel i5 Skylake with
>>> onboard graphics.
>> Based on personal experience:
>>
>> 1. Deinstall drm ports
>>
>> 2. Remove all remaining drm related files under /boot
>>
>> 3. Reinstall drm port
>>
> That did not work.
>
> On a successful boot after using beadm to rollback to r352057, I see the
> following items startup after setting the ntpd security policy:
>
> starting ntpd
> configuring vt: blanktime
> sanity check of sshd configuration
> start sshd
> start sendmail & sendmail submit as well as cron
> start background checks
> login
>
> On all svn updates after r352057, the last item logged is the ntpd security
> policy and then the console goes black.  The computer is dead and I can't
> login through ssh nor change to another console.  I hae to hit the reset
> switch to reboot.  Even ctrl-alt-delete is not functioning.
I remember having similar issues a while ago when we were first hacking
on drm, one thing to try is updating /boot/loader.conf with the following:
debug.debugger_on_panic=0
dev.drm.skip_ddb="1"
dev.drm.drm_debug_persist="1"

these are semi-documented in the wiki here:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics#Issues_.2F_Bugs

while they may not solve the issue, they will hopefully give us better
info as to why the system is hanging.  Also, are you able to boot the
previously working kernel (iirc you can do this via the boot loader
menu) successfully?  and lasty, can you boot single user then manually
attempt to load the kernel module via kldload i915kms.ko?

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright