Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 08:51:54 -0600
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>, hackers@freebsd.org, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: Commerical applications (was: Development and validation tools...)

At 05:38 16-01-97 -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>To be sure, one or more of us core team members will eventually have
>books of our own in those bookstores as well as occasional magazine
>articles in the UNIX press, and it's definitely necessary that we try
>to set good examples for constructive evangelism, but still - we can
>hardly have a PR stampede just by ourselves. :-)

I've hit all of the local bookstores at least twice asking for FreeBSD
books.  Last time, one of the sales people said he'd heard 'others' asking
for FreeBSD stuff, so just what is it.  After a few minutes of discussion he
was much more interested in helping me out.  They still didn't have
anything, but at least he's looking...

I plan on writing a book on some advanced programming techniques.  I have a
rather nice ipc stuff (socket class, shared memory, and semaphores mostly)
as well as some template based stuff, all of which are being redone with
pthreads. It is my intention to complete the work on my FreeBSD box.  All of
the code will run, as it will be supplied, on FreeBSD as well as AIX.

While it's not a FreeBSD book, it will mention it fairly often.  I was
actually toying with the idea of an appendix which had some cursory
information on getting and installing FreeBSD -- mostly pointers to web
pages and Lehey's book.

>We need more user participation, more people out shaking the bushes
>and organizing user group meetings.  It's not hard!  Hell, in most
>cases you can just go speak at some existing local PC users group
>meeting and get the 4 or 5 UNIX enthusiasts who are there to talk to
>you after the meeting.  Tada!  You now have the nucleus for a local
>UNIX user's group! :)

I'm trying to start one in the Austin area.  Actually, it's as much for
selfish reasons as anything else -- I need the help.  Once my isp is
actually up and running, though, I'd be able to *give* help back.

>"Oh sure," you say.  "That's easy for you to do when you can play
> Johnny Appleseed* with free promo CDs!"
>
>Not a problem.  If you spot a good opportunity to get FreeBSD started
>at a local campus or research center, just drop me an email with
>address info, desired quantities and contact information (who the CDs
>go to) and I'll do the rest - all you need to do is identify the
>opportunity.

Sure thing.  I know some who might just be interested.  I'll hit them up
this week.  One of my clients went with the *L* word the same week I ordered
my cd's. They didn't even think there were multiple options.  I'm working on
them as well.

I can't do much, but I can do something.

On another, only quasi-related, point, I remember seeing a message about the
lack of FreeBSD t-shirts.  I replied to one of the 'core' types about how I
knew a local (Austin, Texas) t-shirt company that might just be interested
in making a new group FreeBSD genre of t-shirts.  I didn't get anything else
back on that. While I am sure there will be a ton of legaleese to wade
through (which is about 3,000 pounds more than really needed), it might be
nice to check it out.  If I do it or someone else does (or continues to do)
it, it doesn't matter.  I'm not thinking of making money on this (I would
just pass it on at cost).  But if *I* had some nice FreeBSD t-shirts, I'd
wear them to work.

Also, I try to give out t-shirts at Christmas to all of my people (workers
and clients).  It might be cute to have the "Powered by FreeBSD" logo right
there under the Computer Mavericks one.  *Whoever* does the t-shirts would
get *my* order every November.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough.  Thanks for the offer (above)...

Lee