Date:      Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:32:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Craig Shaver" <craig@ProGroup.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rcp by root

> On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Mike Salmons wrote:
>
> > I can't setup my system to allow root to rcp from another freebsd system, it
> > works ok as a user. I have a /.rhosts and a /etc/hosts.equiv file with the
> > remote system listed. What else am I missing?
>
> This is probably a huge security violation since anyone with the root
> password now has root access your computer too (using rsh & the other
> r-utilities).

I set up .rhosts in the /root directory and qualified it by the full
host name.  I will take it out now, and only put it in when I
need to do backups to a remote tape.  However, not just anyone with
root can access this.  I tried from another machine on the internet
where I have root access.  I got a message to the effect that root
login was denied on that terminal.   I think You would have to spoof
the fully qualified domain name to make it work.  How hard is it
to do that?

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088