Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 14:02:06 -0700
From:      fyeung@fyeung8.netific.com (Francis Yeung)
To:        terry@lambert.org, jlemon@americantv.com
Cc:        rcarter@consys.com, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, fenyo@email.enst.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cluster Computing in BSD

Greetings,

	These companies are so called supercomputer computers had no
intention to relate their business to any "day to day" computing. Their
machines were very target oriented and proprietary.

	On the other hand, a cluster computing solution may solve a lot
of our scalability problems. What if our FreeBSD users want to enhance the performance of
their Web servers, xxxDES computation, database applications etc.
An inexpensive cluster solution like the hypercube type will be very useful.

	You can get 100Mbps Ethernet NIC for $35 today. If the ATM
folks don't fool around with their hypes, we may see an inexpensive
OC12 ATM NIC soon (I may be dreaming too soon).

If we believe that the local network can be the I/O bus, the clustering solution
 based on generic networking technology is worth for consideration.

	my 2 cents.

	Francis