Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2008 17:04:50 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE (GENERIC) firefox3 /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgio-2.0

David Christensen wrote:

> mdh wrote:
>> The answer is to upgrade your devel/glib20 port to the latest version,
>> then try to install or upgrade libgiofam, then install the other
>> software.
>
> Thank you for your response.  :-)
>

> Here's my attempt to carry out your suggestions:
>
> 20081026-122203 root@p43400e ~
> # portsnap fetch update
> Looking up portsnap.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.

Since I use csup and have no experience with portsnap I can't speak to it's
efficacy.

> Building new INDEX files... done.
>
> 20081026-122344 root@p43400e ~
> # cd /usr/ports/devel/glib20
>
> 20081026-122615 root@p43400e /usr/ports/devel/glib20
> # make

If you previously had glib20-2.14.6 installed, you will need to do a 'make
deinstall' prior to 'make reinstall'.

> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/devel/glib20/work/glib-2.16.5'
>
> 20081026-125854 root@p43400e /usr/ports/devel/glib20
> # cd ../gio-fam-backend

This is wrong somehow. You should be able to make && make deinstall && make
reinstall the glib20 port without it going anywhere else.

> 20081026-125954 root@p43400e /usr/ports/devel/gio-fam-backend
> # make

Also please note that both the glib20 port *and* the gio-fam-backend both
utilize the same glib20 tarball. It's just you need to build/install the
glib20 (current version == 2.16.5) port first, then follow up by doing the
gio-fam-backend port.

Something is wrong with your setup as I just successfully built the
gio-fam-backend port on my test machine with no difficulties encountered.

-Mike
[snip]