Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:11:08 -0500
From:      Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Bill Maniatty <maniattb@cs.rpi.edu>, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, maniatty@cs.albany.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, maniattb@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: Learning the FreeBSD Kernel

> On Sunday, 23 January 2000 at 11:48:39 -0500, Bill Maniatty wrote:
> > Hello Jeroen:
> > Jeroen Ruigrok (in response to Greg Lehey and myself):

> >> *nod*  There are certainly people who are be able and willing to help.

> > First we want to get the mechanism of driver installation down, then
> > try our hands at writing our own driver.  I fear that if we roll our
> > own driver software we may find that if we have errors (not that we
> > ever have errors mind you :-) we may not be able to isolate the
> > cause.  This is why I was leaning towards reinstalling a working
> > driver first.
>
> There are two almost completely separate issues in writing drivers:
>
> 1.  Writing the code to deal with the device.  Having good vendor
>     documentation helps here.
>
> 2.  Fitting this code into the BSD framework.  Having good OS
>     documentation helps here.

Good point, while I would like to see more vendors step up and document
their device interfaces, that part is not within grasp.

> I can't agree with Mike Smith that reading the code is adequate.  It
> certainly doesn't apply to newcomers, but it doesn't even apply to
> seasoned hackers like Mike: the BSD style doesn't provide for adequate
> comments, and so what you see from the code is mainly tactics, not
> strategy.  For the fun of it, go through the sources in
> /usr/src/sys/pci and try to identify the hardware which each driver
> supports.  The newer ones are very good in this respect, but I'd guess
> there would be between 10% and 20% of the files where you will be left
> wondering what they do.  Read the code and you'll see how they do it,
> but you may find that that isn't enough for you :-)

Thanks Greg, these remarks confirm my suspiscions.

[deletia]
> I do think that the idea of taking an existing driver and cloning it
> is a good one.  Maybe we can identify an old and mouldy one which
> needs rewriting.  I've heard things about the floppy disk driver, but
> I'm not sure that it hasn't already been done, though the code
> suggests it's pretty old.

I think that might be a good idea, but right now we might be better served
by simply playing with a modern driver and what the installation process is.
Again we want to understand how to install a driver and where it interfaces
with the Kernel.  But the idea of updating an older driver to the modern
structure is attractive.

Greg, thanks for your constructive input.

Regards:

Bill Maniatty